Can Black Mold Make You Sick?

Exposure to black mold can cause allergic reactions in some people but does not necessarily lead to other health problems. Learn more about how black mold can make you sick.

Can Black Mold Make You Sick?

Exposure to black mold can cause allergic reactions in some people, but it doesn't necessarily lead to other health problems. While it's possible to get sick from exposure, it's unlikely that black mold can kill you. It can be difficult to determine if exposure to mold is making you sick, as the symptoms vary from person to person. Some people have symptoms such as constant migraines, headaches, or shortness of breath, while others also experience mental confusion; some may also develop fatigue and depression.

They can cause allergic reactions, asthma attacks, and even lung infections, especially if the immune system is already suppressed for some reason. In order to avoid getting sick from mold, it's best to wash your hands often and keep your house clean. If you have any questions, wait until the day and see if any symptoms appear. If not, you're probably fine.

If you end up getting sick from eating bad bread, it will happen in a few hours. Moldy bread can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms. You may get sick or experience symptoms if you are exposed to black mold. If you inhale, ingest, or are exposed to black mold in the long term, you are at risk of health problems.

Exposure to black mold can cause coughing, wheezing, eye redness, itchy skin or eyes, sore or itchy throat, and other allergic-type symptoms. Symptoms may be more severe for people with a weakened immune system or breathing problems such as asthma. Long-term exposure to black mold may contribute to additional symptoms, as toxins can build up in some people over time. Some people have described these more serious symptoms, such as nerve problems, memory loss, trouble concentrating, and anxiety, among others.

If you're allergic to mold, your immune system overreacts when you inhale mold spores. Mold allergy can cause coughing, itchy eyes, and other symptoms that make you feel miserable. In some people, mold allergy is related to asthma, and exposure causes respiratory restrictions and other airway symptoms. Black mold has the potential to make you sick and cause you to have to deal with health problems that can take time to recover from.

While the CDC or the EPA don't consider black mold itself to be more dangerous than any other mold, the toxins released by black mold may be more harmful to some people than other types of mold. If you have a reaction to black mold in your home, you can take steps to eliminate the mold from your home. If you have a reaction to black mold, see your doctor to determine if you have a mold allergy or another medical condition that is causing your symptoms. If you're experiencing mysterious symptoms and haven't been able to figure out why, you may have mold disease.

The best way to avoid getting sick from mold is to wash your hands often, drink bottled water, and cook all your food thoroughly. In the end, the scientists concluded that they could not link exposure to black mold to illness and death in Cleveland babies. Black mold gained a reputation for being toxic after eight babies became ill in Cleveland between January 1993 and December 1994. The best way to stop a reaction to black mold is to remove it from the house and then prevent it from growing again by keeping indoor moisture at bay.

Lydia Bouley
Lydia Bouley

Amateur bacon trailblazer. Award-winning music junkie. Subtly charming pop culture fanatic. Hardcore travel evangelist. Amateur pop culture enthusiast.

Leave a Comment

All fileds with * are required