N-95 respirator or one that provides even more protection. Check the packaging for an “N-9” long-sleeve shirt. It's important to dry areas and objects damaged by water within 24 to 48 hours to prevent mold growth from starting. Porous or absorbent materials damaged by water, such as ceiling tiles, wall panels, cellulose and fiberglass insulation, should be discarded and replaced.
Be sure to photocopy important documents before discarding the originals. Use a water extraction vacuum to remove water from carpets. Then use dehumidifiers and fans to speed up the drying process. Usually, carpet that gets moldy must be replaced.
Non-porous surfaces can be vacuumed or cleaned with a mild detergent and allowed to dry completely. In addition to lung protection, workers must wear fairly long gloves. Common household rubber gloves are fine if you use mild detergents. However, chlorine bleach or stronger cleaning solutions require something a little tougher, such as Ansell 37-155 unlined nitrile gloves.
They come beyond the wrist and are effective at keeping mold spores away while cleaning. The best mask for cleaning mold is an N95 respirator. N95 respirators are a type of anti-particulate mask with a built-in filtration system that, when placed firmly against the face, prevents small mold particles from reaching the nose and mouth. They are also the only mold mask approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH).
A decontamination chamber or airlock (an area with doors between the contaminated area and the clean area) must be built to enter and exit the remediation area. Discard sponges or rags that were used to clean mold, along with used personal protective equipment (PPE). When tackling a mold removal and cleaning project, one of the most important considerations is the potential risk of exposure to mold (see Health Effects of Indoor Mold). Limited PPE can be guaranteed when the total area affected by mold is between 10 and 100 square feet.
This can be done by ventilating bathrooms, kitchens, dryers and other sources of moisture to the outside; using air conditioners and dehumidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans when cooking, washing dishes and cleaning. Full containment is recommended for cleaning mold-contaminated surfaces larger than 100 square feet and when intense or prolonged exposure is expected. The chamber must be large enough to contain a waste container and allow the worker to put on and take off personal protective equipment (PPE). According to OSHA, for small areas with mold growth, an N95 respirator, unvented goggles and long gloves compatible with the chemicals used for cleaning surfaces should be used.
A HEPA vacuum can be used to clean items such as furniture, concrete, carpets, or books after the material has completely dried. It is also recommended if it seems likely that the occupant's space would be further contaminated if full containment were not used, as there are likely to be high levels of dust or mold spores in the air. There's no doubt that mold particles fall within that size range, and the 2097 filters also have an activated carbon layer that filters out some unpleasant odors that are often associated with large scale mold cleaning.