If the surface is stained and resistant to bleach, or if you plan to repaint and follow the paint manufacturer's instructions, cleaning with a dilute bleach solution is the best way to get rid of mold spores. Use 1 part bleach to 3 parts water, according to Sherwin-Williams. If you don't want to use bleach, vinegar, borax or branded products from a hardware store or home center can also be effective. However, even if you sterilize the surface, there will always be enough mold spores in the air for mold to grow again if the conditions are right. Using a stiff bristle brush, scrub the blackened area.
If the mold is on a hard surface, such as paint on a wall, use a cloth or sponge moistened with water or water mixed with a little detergent to clean it. If you see mold growing on painted walls, follow the steps above to clean and remove it before repainting it. In addition to making this job much more complicated, removing contaminated material also greatly increases the risk of removing mold. In general, cleaning with a bleach and water solution is sufficient to treat minor mold problems in the home. This threshold was established because of the understanding of what makes cleaning up mold and mildew a risky task from a health point of view.
Whether you include bleach or other biocides as part of your routine, it's important to recognize that mold can cause allergies if it comes into contact with your skin or eyes, or if you inhale the spores. This is true regardless of whether the mold or spores are alive or dead, which is why the EPA generally does not recommend using chlorine bleach or other biocides as part of mold cleaning. However, it also depends on the type of material the wall is made of and how far mold contamination has spread. Especially in a bathroom, where moisture is always an issue, it can be useful to repaint with a product formulated to resist mold growth on the paint surface. Whether the mold is on porous or non-porous surfaces, probably the most important aspect of cleaning is to prevent mold from reappearing.
Local public health departments offer advice on mold testing and refer you to a mold remediation company. A damp basement or basement can cause mold problems throughout the house, not just under the floor, because of the way air and water vapor move. However, if mold growth is extensive, it's a good idea to have a professional mold removal company test and extract the mold. Not only is indoor mold not pretty to look at, but it can also cause a variety of health problems for you and your family.