Mold is a serious problem that can cause health issues and expensive home repairs if left untreated. It can spread quickly to other areas of the home and ruin just about anything it comes into contact with. Many molds are capable of producing substances that can be harmful to health, so it's important to remove any mold you find in your home as soon as possible. When you first spot a stain of mold in the bathroom or basement, it's important to take action right away.
Mold can be a variety of colors and have a musty smell. You don't need to know the type of mold in order to remove it. You can remove mold from hard surfaces with household products, soap and water, or with a bleach solution of no more than 1 cup of household linen bleach in 1 gallon of water. If you're dealing with a large area of mold, you may want to consider hiring a mold removal professional.
They will use specialized equipment to kill and remove the mold, and then prevent it from returning with mold-resistant paint like Kilz. The landlord is generally responsible for controlling moisture issues and eliminating mold, unless it is a problem related to the tenant's behavior. Ozone can be used to eliminate mold, but health threats will not be reduced until the mold contaminants are removed through cleaning. It's important to take action right away when you spot mold in your home.
If left untreated, it can cause serious health problems and expensive home repairs. It's also important to take steps to prevent mold from returning in the future.