Mold is a common substance found in air particles and dust, but it only grows when there is moisture and oxygen present. Unfortunately, many people who venture into the world of mold do not know what they are doing or how to interpret the data from the mold tests that they have analyzed in the laboratory. Currently, there are no Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations or standards for mold contaminants in the air. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it's dangerous to have any amount of mold inside a building.
At this time, there are no levels of mold acceptable by the EPA or regulations for mold growth in a commercial building. A normal mold spore count in a room is usually 200 to 500 spores. It's normal and safe for there to be between 1 and 1500 mold spores in a room, as long as the mold colonies don't grow visibly and there's no water damage. No standards or limit values (TLV) have been established for the concentrations of mold or mold spores in the air.
All mold samples may be biased and it is the responsibility of the mold inspector to consider the room being sampled and how the content or condition of the room could affect the sample. In addition, health responses to mold spores can be affected by how long you are exposed to the spores, the size or type of spore to which you are exposed, the allergen levels of dust mites and cockroaches, individual sensitivity to allergens, emotional stress, general health, and other substances and factors that mold inspectors have not yet discovered. Much of the following information comes from global mold exposure standards for fungi and bacteria, Robert C. If no water intrusion or mold problem was found, these levels can be reached by hiding behind a wall.
Newly flipped homes often have hidden mold. Ultimately, the best way to eliminate and prevent mold growth in your commercial building is to hire a mold remediation specialist instead of endangering your employees. With massive exposure to mold, such as touching and inhaling mold or mold spores, your employees could suffer a variety of health risks. While you can remove some of them with specialized household cleaners, a mold remediation specialist can examine the area and ensure that all of the fungi are gone.
Therefore, if your report shows high concentrations of mold, they will likely recommend that you fix the problem. The following information was not provided as a final and definitive specification of the level of mold spores because health responses to exposure to mold spores vary from person to person. If your report shows high concentrations of mold, it is important to take action immediately. The best way to ensure that your home is safe from dangerous levels of mold is to hire a professional who can assess your home and provide you with an accurate report on what levels are acceptable.