Black mold can cause similar symptoms in dogs and cats as it does in us. Some pets will be more affected than others, just like humans. Symptoms generally fall into three categories and include respiratory distress, allergic reaction, and toxic reactions. Your pet may be exposed to mold in a variety of ways.
Like humans, pets can inhale mold spores, which will affect the respiratory system. Mold can also affect pets through their fur or skin, which can trap spores and make it difficult for your pet to get rid of them. Animals can also accidentally ingest mold spores, which can cause difficulties in their gastrointestinal tract. Pets can ingest small amounts of mold while taking care of themselves while grooming themselves, increasing the chances that mold toxins will affect.
If your home has experienced a flood, it's best to call a mold remediation company to inspect and remove any traces of mold, if any. While all molds can cause irritation and allergy symptoms, some molds can also cause much more dangerous health problems. If the mold area covers more than 10 square feet, it's very likely that the mold problem is more than just an isolated problem. In humans, mold is also more commonly associated with allergies, but mold is much more threatening than people think.
Mold is often associated with allergies in pets, but as we said, mold can be much more dangerous than allergies. Unfortunately, the symptoms of mold exposure can resemble symptoms of other health conditions, sometimes making it difficult to diagnose mold exposure. When pets ingest mold with their food or inhale it through their noses, they can have these types of symptoms. So where is the line between an allergic mold and a toxic mold? This line is defined by the presence of mycotoxins and NOT by color.