Mold is a word that can cause homeowners to panic, especially when we just finished a summer of unprecedented temperatures and humidity. But what really is the dreaded intruder? Could he be to blame for those unexpected summer illnesses? “Molds are fungi that grow naturally,” said Dr. Jonathan Spahr. This makes our homes an excellent target during the summer.
Mold growth accelerates when you are indoors. The mold's tiny reproductive cells, called spores, are easily released into the air, and an enclosed space amplifies their ability to establish contact with each other. There are hundreds of species of mold. Some of these species are less dangerous, such as penicillin, which has antibacterial properties and is used in antibiotics.
However, others can make you sick. Those tiny spores can cause a range of health problems, especially in people with respiratory problems, allergies or a weakened immune system, said Dr. Symptoms of mold exposure can include headache, sore throat, runny nose, coughing, sneezing, tearing and fatigue. Asthma attacks can occur in people with asthma.
In people with impaired immune systems, a serious infection can occur. Here are the ways you can prevent the spread of mold and what you can do to get rid of it. Exposure to humid and moldy environments can cause a variety of health effects or none at all. Some people are sensitive to mold.
For these people, exposure to mold can cause symptoms such as nasal congestion, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes or skin. Some people, such as those with mold allergies or asthma, may have more severe reactions. Workers exposed to large amounts of mold in occupational settings can have serious reactions, such as farmers who work near moldy hay. Serious reactions may include fever and shortness of breath.
However, some people may be more sensitive to mold spores than others and may develop respiratory symptoms after inhaling even a small amount of the spores. In large quantities, mold spores can cause health problems in just about anyone. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), any visible mold growing inside the house is a potential health hazard and should be removed as soon as possible.