Can Mold Behind Walls Make You Sick?

Mold behind walls can make you sick if you're exposed for too long. Learn about the health risks associated with mold exposure and how to prevent it.

Can Mold Behind Walls Make You Sick?

Exposure to humid, musty environments can have a range of effects on your health, from none at all to severe symptoms. Some people are particularly sensitive to mold, and for them, exposure can cause nasal congestion, wheezing, and redness or itching of the eyes or skin. It's important to act quickly when you spot signs of mold, as it's not only unsightly but can also be dangerous. Yes, mold behind walls can make you sick, although it's not something that should be taken lightly.

All indoor environments contain some mold spores, but this doesn't usually affect most people. However, mold is a major cause of allergies and airway-related conditions such as asthma. When exposed to mold, the respiratory tract produces an excessive amount of mucus that can make it difficult to breathe for those with weakened immune systems. Pets are also affected by mold and may experience serious respiratory complications.

Black mold is particularly dangerous and can cause hay fever-like symptoms in healthy people and serious respiratory problems in those with pre-existing conditions. Even if you don't have any of these symptoms, exposure to mold can cause irritation to your eyes, skin, throat, nose, and lungs. If you notice that the walls are deformed or twisted, this could be a sign that water has been leaking and you should call an expert to dry them properly and prevent a mold infestation. Mold is a major problem for landlords and renters alike.

Whether you're allergic to mold or not, exposure to it can irritate your eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs. There are several common causes of mold growth inside walls that even careful homeowners might overlook. Mold growth is caused by moisture, which provides the perfect breeding ground for microorganisms that feed on wood and damage the structure of the house. As mold eats cellulose, it slowly breaks down the components of the house and puts it at risk of collapsing.

Molds thrive on moisture and reproduce through tiny spores that travel through the air. Mold spores thrive in humid, warm environments so when they land in a humid place in your home they start to grow. Prolonged exposure to any form of mold or moisture can cause various respiratory diseases including reduced lung function. It's impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores from your home but since they need moisture to grow reducing humidity is the best way to prevent or eliminate them. If there is already mold growing in your home it's important to clean up the mold and fix the problem that causes moisture.

In small quantities, mold spores are usually harmless but when they land in a humid place in your home they can start to grow.

Lydia Bouley
Lydia Bouley

Amateur bacon trailblazer. Award-winning music junkie. Subtly charming pop culture fanatic. Hardcore travel evangelist. Amateur pop culture enthusiast.

Leave a Comment

All fileds with * are required