Mold is a common problem in many homes, and it can be difficult to detect. Fortunately, there are some tell-tale signs that can help you identify a mold problem. Most molds produce musty odors that are the first sign of a problem. You may also notice water stains, deformations, or follow your nose to the source of the smell.
A “musty smell” in an area of the house is often an indicator that some type of mold is present. Symptoms such as persistent runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, and throat irritation can also indicate the presence of mold. Dogs, for example, are also more likely to snoop around in areas where there is mold or even to ingest mold by accident. Mold forms in homes because, in many cases, the home is the ideal place for mold to grow, especially in basements and other areas that may be dark and humid, and have a similar temperature throughout the year, due to ovens and water heaters. To help you understand whether or not you might need to inspect your home for mold, we've prepared this comprehensive guide that will help you understand the signs and symptoms of mold, learn what steps you should take if you think you have mold problems, and provide you with more information and useful tips to help you deal with a possible mold problem. If you only have a mild, isolated problem, and mold isn't a dangerous type of black mold, you may be able to get rid of it yourself.
Instead of taking action after mold is already a problem, you can do several things to prevent mold from growing in the first place. Make sure your home is well-ventilated by opening doors and windows regularly. Use dehumidifiers or air conditioners to reduce humidity levels in your home. Clean up any water spills or leaks immediately.
And use paint that repels moisture or mold. Mold poisoning can cause a number of different symptoms, depending on the age of the person affected, the strength of their immune system, and whether or not they have a pre-existing mold allergy. If you suspect that you may have a mold problem in your home, it's important to take action quickly. Contact a professional who can inspect your home for signs of mold growth and recommend a remediation specialist who can help you get rid of it (and its root cause).